- Streptomycin function by inhibiting protein synthesis in bacteria.
- Binding of streptomycin to the small 16S rRNA of the 30S subunit of the bacterial ribosome subunit prevent access of aminoacyl tRNA to the acceptor site on the mRNA – ribosome complex, leading to inhibition of protein synthesis.
- It binds to the small 16S rRNA of the 30S subunit of the bacterial ribosome, interfering with the binding of formylmethionyl-tRNA to the 30S subunit.
- Deionized / Milli-Q water
- Equipment and disposables
- Measuring cylinder
- Conical flask / Beaker / 15 ml screw-capped tube
- Magnetic stirrer
- 50 mg/ml streptomycin
- Preparation of 10 ml of 50 mg/ml streptomycin stock solution in water
Step 1: To prepare 10 ml of stock solution of streptomycin, weigh out 100 mg of streptomycin. Transfer it to 15 ml screw-capped tube ml / beaker / conical flask. Add 9 ml of deionized / Milli-Q water. Mix until all streptomycin is dissolved completely.
- We recommend to use 15 ml screw-capped tube with millilitre marks. Transfer all the contents in it. Add 9 ml deionized / Milli-Q water and mix the content by rotating the tube. Once the content is mixed, make up the volume 10 ml.
- Do not dissolve in 10 ml of deionized / Milli-Q water. In most cases, solution volume increases when the large amount of solute dissolves in solvent.
Step 2: Adjust the volume to 10 ml with deionized / Milli-Q water. Mix it again.
- Store the solution in small aliquots (1 ml) at -20°C for long time.
- It is recommended to store the tetracycline stock solution in small aliquots.
- A selection marker for bacterial culture during gene cloning experiments.
|Follow the table to prepare streptomycin solution of various volume (5 ml, 10 ml, 25 ml, 100).|
|Reagents / Volume||5 ml||10 ml||25 ml||100 ml|
|streptomycin||50 mg||100 mg||250 mg||1000 mg|
|Deionized / Milli-Q water||Adjust the final volume to 5 ml||Adjust the final volume to 10 ml||Adjust the final volume to 25 ml||Adjust the final volume to 100 ml|